I'm excited about the concept of outdoor playgroups because it is very unique in Calgary. We offer some of the only playgroups in the city that focus on toddlers and preschoolers. Recently we've also been able to expand to offer infant hikes as well for baby-wearing parents looking for some mid-week exercise and friendship.
Outdoor playgroups are special in that we meet outdoors rather than in living rooms or indoor play parks. Plan for your child to be exhausted by the end of his two hour play date, covered in dirt or mud, and famished for a snack!
Moms, Dads, and Grandparents are all welcome! Outdoor playgroups are for the whole family.
Why we meet outdoors:
- Have you ever had 18 children running around your house? Would you want to? Enough said.
- I prefer to drink my coffee in a park and let my child scream outside. Places with names like Stir Crazy really do leave me (and many children) just that - crazy.
- Kids want to play outdoors. Really they do! They just need the opportunity, a willing parent to take them outside, and friends to play with.
- Toddlers and preschoolers have a LOT of energy they need to burn off. You can take them to a McDonalds Play Park or you can take them to a real park outside. They will use up a lot more energy running around outside.
- I see far too many hyper-active children running around at indoor gyms, malls, playgrounds and restaurants. These children NEED to be outside climbing large hills, running around big fields, and releasing their crazy to the wind.
We'd love to have you join us some week!
To join an outdoor playgroup, please visit us on Facebook at Calgary Outdoor Playgroups to find out about groups in your part of the city. We currently have a North Calgary Family Outdoor Adventures Group as well as a South Calgary Family Outdoor Adventures Group. Play dates happen on most days of the week. If you are not on Facebook, please leave a message in the comments below so that I can follow up with you directly and get you connected to a group.
Below are some of my favorite photos from our Outdoor Playgroups Community over the past couple of years.
|Winter Waterfall Valley Hike|
|Climbing trees in Confederation Park|
|Sledding in Confederation Park|
|Hiking on Nose Hill|
|Hiking and Biking on Nose Hill|
|Exploring on Nose Hill|
|Kids LOVE playing outdoors|
|Hiking in the natural area above Edworthy Park|
|Edworthy Park Hike along the escarpment|
|The kids love the bunnies in the Edgemont Ravine|
|Story time in the Edgemont Ravine|
|Playing in 12 Mile Coulee, Tuscany|
|Hiking in Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park|
|Playing in the mud in the Weaselhead Natural Area|
|Big Hill Springs Provincial Park|
|Jackrabbit Trail Hike, South Glenmore Park|
|Kananaskis Village Day Trip|
|Griffith Woods Bike and Hike|
|Griffith Woods Pond|
|Douglas Fir Trail Hike, Edworthy Park|
|Waterfall Valley, Bowmont Park|
|Winter Hiking in Strathcona Ravines Park|
|Halloween Hike in Strathcona Ravines Park|
|Roasting Marshmallows in Edworthy Park|
|Games in the Snow - Learning to Love Winter!|
|Cross country skiing and Snowshoeing in Confederation Park|
|Winter Sledding on a Frosty Day|
|Winter hiking in Nose Hill Park|
|Easter Egg Hunt in Edworthy Park|
|Wiener roast in Edworthy Park|
|Junior Biker Gang at Prince's Island|
|Bike Ride to the Peace Bridge Downtown|
|Junior Biker Gang in Bow Valley Provincial Park|
|Bike Ride at Helicopter Playground|