Quite possibly, but we don't mind in the slightest! Nakiska has slashed the prices for their season passes for the 2014/2015 ski season from $819 per adult down to a low $199! And that's for the whole season from late fall 2014 through spring 2015.
While there's snow on the ground, you'll be skiing Nakiska for the most affordable rate to ever be offered at a ski resort in the Canadian Rockies. Maybe anywhere!
|Learning to Ski at Nakiska Mountain Resort|
Meanwhile, family passes have been reduced to $459 and again, that's for the WHOLE ski season. So, let's say you get out skiing 10 times - you'll be paying $50 per day for the entire family. Normally you'd pay upwards of $85 per adult to ski for one day at a local resort.
So, why is Nakiska doing this? They want to make skiing an accessible and affordable sport for more families. If you're like my family, skiing is a special treat that we just can't afford to do every weekend. We choose snowshoeing and cross country skiing to cut costs. Now however, we really could go downhill skiing every weekend and still afford to buy groceries! Do I hear a Wahoo?!!
Children under the age of 6 are still free to ski at Nakiska and as long as your child is under 6 at the end of 2014, you can get a Tiger Pass for the season at no cost.
|The Nakiska Ski Hill and Tube Park|
Need more reasons to ski Nakiska this winter? Consider this:
- Nakiska is Calgary's closest mountain resort and from the west end of the city, it takes less than an hour to reach the hill.
- Nakiska has a great beginner area, easy green runs off the bronze chair, and a gentle tube park that's fun for the whole family. (note, the tube park would be an additional cost on days you want a special treat for the kids.)
- With a season pass, families can afford to go out for half a day and work skiing around nap times or other commitments
- There's a family-friendly hostel located just minutes away from the hill with private bedrooms, indoor plumbing, and a fully stocked kitchen. The family ski vacation just became more affordable than ever!
- The season pass will give you daily discounts when you want to travel further to ski at Fernie, Kicking Horse Mountain Resort, or Kimberley Alpine Resort.
- Nakiska has a great ski club, The Nakiska Alpine Ski Association, and offers fantastic lessons for the whole family through their ski school.
- Season pass holders are entitled to discounts on rentals, lessons, dining, as well as accommodations in Banff and Canmore (see website for details and go to the season pass benefits tab)
|Ski Lessons to start kids off right|
In the words of Resorts of the Canadian Rockies Vice President of Marketing and Sales, Matt Mosteller
"RCR and Nakiska Ski Area feel it’s so important to give everyone the chance to ski this winter while also, staying true to our commitment of encouraging more people to get active and healthy in winter"
So, when's the deadline for buying your season's pass??
June 28th!! - and that's just a few weeks away so jump on this deal now.
|Nakiska Mountain Resort|
And in further news - RCR introduces the Kids' Wings' Program:
"Are your kids new to the sport of skiing/snowboarding, or outgrowing their gear each year? Take the hassle out of having to find and purchase new winter sportswear every year by participating in the new Kids Wings program at Resorts of the Canadian Rockies. For just $149/season you can pick up your kids ski or snowboard along with boots and bindings on your first day at your resort of choice, just drop them off at the end of the season or for an additional fee, purchase them!"
So, you now have your season's pass, ski equipment for the kids, and affordable accommodations nearby if you want to make a weekend out of your Nakiska Trip. Have I missed anything? Is there any reason NOT to buy a pass for the family??
|Learning to Ski in the Beginner Area|
We will be getting season passes and I will be blogging for Nakiska throughout the 2014 - 2015 ski season. I hope to see you on the slopes!! (I'll be the mom slowly picking her way down the bronze chair while her 5 year old flies past her.)
|Learning to ski with Dad|
For more information on the season passes and to order for your family - follow this link to the Nakiska website.
To read the last story I wrote RE skiing at Nakiska, follow this link to Nakiska Mountain Resort - Raising the Bar in Family Excellence.